Bogor Botanical Garden, West Java
www.indonesia.biz.id – Kebun Raya Bogor also known as Bogor Botanical Garden located in the center of Bogor city, West Java. With 87 hectare it has 3,443 kind of plant and 519 kind of orchid. This garden was build by Casper George Carl Reinwardt in May 18 1817 and named as Slands Plantentiun te Buitenzorg.
One of the famous in Bogor Botanical Garden are the giant smelly flowers Amorphophalus Titanum and Rafflesia arnoldii. It’s discovered by Italian scientist named Beccari. The garden has 11 flowers planted since 1912.
The name “corpse flower” applied to Rafflesia is confusing because this common name also refers to the Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) of the family Araceae. Moreover, because Amorphophallus has the world’s unique largest unbranched inflorescence, it is sometimes mistakenly credited as having the world’s largest flower. Both Rafflesia and Amorphophallus are flowering plants, but they are still distantly related. Rafflesia arnoldii has the largest single flower of any flowering plant, at least when one judges this by weight. Amorphophallus titanum has the largest unbranched inflorescence.
There are 4 different routes from main gate:
- You will enter the road with full of Canary tree on the side and named Kenari street. At the corner of intersection there is Lady Raffles’s statue. You can see Bogor National Palace from a distance, surrounding by Gunting pond which full of water lily. Across the pond there is the oldest lychee fruit tree (since 1823) from China.
- This route leads you to many kind of palm tree, several ponds with some aquatic plants. The best part is a big open grass area with big pond and water lily; where many people take rest and enjoy their meal.
- In this route you will find Mexico garden which consist of fern plant (Pteridophyta), spices plant and palm tree. Also you can see bats that eat fruit hang on tree.
- If you like orchid, this route will guide you the house of orchid. This house conserve many kind and some of rare orchid. Unfortunately you have to booked first to enter the house.
Around outside these gardens you can also visit Zoologi Museum, Etnobotani Museum and Herbarium Bogorienses.
How to get there?
From Jakarta city you are heading south to Bogor via Jagorawi Toll higway. After exit from highway at Baranangsiang intersection turn right. Bogor Botanical Garden located in Ir. H. Juanda street number 13. The garden is open everyday from 07.00 am – 05.00 pm.
Alternate transportation from Jakarta is train named Kereta Rel Listrik (KRL) Jabodetabek and Pakuan Express. From Bogor station take minibus public transport called angkot.
- Bogor city is a high rainfall city.
- Some peddlers and merchants can be quite pushy, so be firm refusing them if you do not want to.
- People and vehicle will charge for admission fee each.